Saturday, July 19, 2008

So These Are the Days of our Lives...

This blog is about one of my many addictions. soap operas... It all started when I was pregnant with Brycen... no, let's back this up. It all started when I was born. My grandma, whom we lived with when I was born, was also a SO addict (and still is). She had four shows she watched on a daily basis. I think one was a half hour and the rest were full hour long shows, so if you also count her "resting her eyes" hour, Nicole and I had 4.5 hours to do anything we wanted and she didn't care as long as we didn't disturb her. Thankfully, we were pretty good kids. But instead of talking about normal kid things at the playground, we were discussing whether Erica Cane was going to get together with Adam Chandler or Jackson Montgomery and which one was Bianca's daddy. (http://abc.go.com/daytime/allmychildren/bios/61952_1.html) Or if Dixie and Tad were getting married or not. (Nicole, if you are reading this, I know you are totally laughing your butt off right now!) And when Robin was three or so, whenever she would give someone a kiss goodbye, she would say, "Oh, Nico!" very suggestively. So then I went off to school and didn't think twice about soap operas....


Until I was 6.5 months preggers with Brycen and I had to quit my job and Nick and I moved to the desert. I couldn't get another job until after I had Bry and I didn't know anyone in my new town AND it was hot as the trenches of hell in Lancaster during the summer. Soooooo, I sat my big pregnant butt on the couch and got caught up on all my soaps. I watched them all day long. It was great. When Bry was 2 months old, I got a job. It was a regular work during the day job, so I couldn't watch my soaps. (This was before the days of DVR.) When I went on maternity leave with Braden, I had a toddler to chase after, so I couldn't devote my entire day to soap operas. I had to make a choice. I picked Days of our Lives. I don't know what it was during those 6 weeks that got me so hooked. When I went back to work, I would try to take my lunch hour from 12:30 - 1:30 so I could watch my show. When Nick went back in the AF and I had to quit my job again, I was able to watch it whenever I could in between chasing the boys and running them to/from school and activities which was once a week if I was lucky.

Then one day.... we ordered DirecTV with DVR!!!! HEAVEN in a box! I can now record every single show and watch them whenever I please (like when the kids are in bed). The best part about it is that I can fast forward through all the commercials. Sometimes I save my soaps up. I'll not watch them at all during the week and then stay up until midnight one night getting caught up on all five. That way, when they leave you hanging at the end of the day with some suspense filled drama, I don't have to think about it all night (which I do!). I can just watch the next day's episode right then. LOVE IT!

Tomorrow I may fill you in on another one of my addictions. Maybe it will be the one that is sweet, soft and chewy that you eat... or the salty one that you keep the inside and throw away the outside. Hmmmmm........

No comments: